Like Attracts Like

You've heard the dating cliche that like attracts like. I used to think this was silly. It could be true or it could be false, but they were true or false in ways that didn't matter, as in personality. But I think I've changed my mind, or at least, I'm willing to agree with this in a very serious way. 

The way we are, the way we act, how we carry ourselves and the spirit that we own, we are responsible for this. It is also true and known to most people that good people tend to associate with good people, and that evil tend to associate with other evil people. So, in this way, maybe I agree. But since this can be extended to romantic relationships, then the cliche holds true, but not because it is romantic, but because in general people tend to associate with like minded people. 

This is serious because this tells us about our moral character, which is vitally important when it comes to romantic relationships. Now, consider the situation, which I seem to be in, in which someone tells me that there is some hesitancy to date me because they perceive me as too good for them. Well, this may or may not be true. But consider that if one is attracted to certain moral status', then they too are generally in the same range. If someone believes me to be too good for them, then okay, maybe I am, but at least admitting that and admitting some type of attraction, deterred by some strange (maybe false) form of humility, indicates that they at least strive for being that type of good themselves, and of course, this is how people can change for the better. What you don't want is to be attracted to someone who you know is inferior in some way where the range is quite large. You generally want someone like yourself. 

But in some sense, that isn't entirely true. I want someone who is better than me, so that I can continue to strive, little by little, like an Aristotlean habit, and my significant other can always will some good for me, which is to say, she can always love me and push me and spur me on to love. This can work by saying that in some ways, I have developed more than her, and in some other ways, she is better than me. I fancy myself being in something like that. We shall see. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Milo

What Does The Bible Say About Birth Control?

Is Canon 28 Binding?